Monday, May 16, 2011

Vintage Revivals Anthropologie Lamp Tutorial

So I have been looking at a lot of teapots lately because of my daughter's upcoming "Fairy Tea Party".  I think it was the same day that I saw this:

I also saw this:



And I thought I would try to follow the tutorial found here.  And this is what I came up with:




The bird was at Michaels for $3.59.  The other pieces I found at Goodwill for $4.60 (including some extra pieces I didn't end up using).  We won't talk about how much the tea pot cost.  OK it cost $60 BUT it came as that set of 3 so I will surely do something fun with the other 2.  Maybe a miniature lamp or paint them for something for the tea party.  Saty tuned on that . . .

Anyway, her tutorial was great!  I did a few things differently.  She had an old lamp that she used the base of but I didn't so I bought a threaded rod from the lighting section of Lowes.   Since my pieces were not symetrical like hers, I put washers in between each piece to hold it in place.  I think I will add some glue as well because it is a gift for my mom and I don't want it falling apart on her.  Some of the pieces jiggle a little as it is right now.  If it still seems unstable, I will add a lamp weight. 

If you try it, make sure you read the part where she says "THIS IS IMPORTANT".  I read it (or skimmed it) and still had a hard time figuring out the drilling at first.  The secret is to do it gently so it doesn't wiggle all over the plate.  They also make something called a drill plate, I believe, that has various sized holes in it so you can lay it on your project and hold the bit still.  The exact bit I got is called a "Hole Saw" for tile, marble, etc. 

My husband calls this the Mad Hatter Lamp.  Thanks for looking! :)

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I like your rendition better than Anthropologie....even though I covet most things in that store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome lady! Love the wonky teapot its so cute!

    Love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are as creative as your mom...and that is saying a lot...Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?!?! That is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing! I love your ideas and all the things you make!

    ReplyDelete